Understanding different types of bets
Types of Roulette Bets – Learning about Roulette Bets
There are many different types of roulette bets and a roulette player needs to understand all the forms of roulette bets like inside bets and outside bets, before he wagers his money.
Inside bets are made by placing a bet on specific numbers or combinations of numbers within the inside numbered area of the roulette table.
- Straight up bet – this is a bet on one single number. Players can place bets on any of the numbers on the table. Bets can be made by placing your chip directly over the square of the number. These bets pay out at 35 to 1.
- Split bet – this is a bet that is placed on two numbers that are adjacent on the roulette table. Bets can be made by placing your chips on the line between the two numbers. These bets pay out at 17 to 1.
- Street bet – this bet allows players to bet on a group of three numbers that are in a row on the roulette table. To place this sort of bet, you place your chip on the outside of the row of numbers that you are betting on. These bets pay out at 11 to 1.
- Corner bet – this bet is placed on a group of four numbers. The bet can be made by placing your chip in the middle of four adjoining numbers that are situated in the corners of the roulette table. These bets pay out at
- Line bets – these bets are placed on a group of six numbers. They are made by placing your chips on the line between two rows of three numbers. These bets pay out at 5 to 1.
Outside bets in the game of roulette refer to bets that are placed on specific groupings of numbers. These bets are placed outside the numbered section on the roulette table.
- Red or Black – players bet on the color that the roulette ball will land on. These bets are even money bets and as such, they pay out at 1 to 1.
- Odd or Even – players bet that the roulette ball will land on either an odd number or an even number. It is an even money bet and pays out at 1 to 1.
- High or Low – this is a bet that is placed on high numbers (numbers 19-36) or low numbers (numbers 1-18). These are also even money bets and pay out at 1 to 1.
- Column bet – this is a bet placed on a group of 12 numbers. The bet can be made by placing your chips at the end of a column of 12 numbers. These bets pay out at 2 to 1.
- Dozen bets – this is also a bet that is placed on a group of 12 numbers. The roulette table is split into three groups of a dozen numbers each (1-12, 13-24 and 25-36). These bet on the roulette ball landing on a number within one of the dozen groups. They pay out at 2 to 1.